CHALLENGE is an educational program designed for youth who have violated an alcohol and/or other drug law or policy in the community, at school, in athletics, or even within the boundaries of their own home. The program is designed to influence participants to make low-risk choices for a lifetime and to decrease high-risk choices that could harm their health and cause them to lose the things they value.
CHALLENGE utilizes the evidence-based, Prime For Life, lifestyle risk-reduction model to educate participants on alcohol/other drug-related health and impairment problems. We believe that with the introduction of new information, time to process it, and support for change, young people are willing to explore new beliefs and change behaviors – if the information they receive is valid, the support given is genuine, and the benefits are clear.
- Programs offered monthly at a Family Resource Center location
- Small class size
- Pre/post tests given for knowledge evaluation
- Participant and parent/guardian attendance required for compliance
- Referral for additional services provided for participants, as necessary
- Certificate issued to participants upon satisfactory completion of program
- Nominal fee charged for participant workbook used to guide class sessions
- Referral source will be provided with verification of participant completion or non-compliance
Target Population: Middle School and High School-Aged Youth
Program Length: 8 hrs. of Participant Instruction; 2 hrs. of Parent/Guardian Education